So many of us found people advising us to use incognito mode for privacy. The other day, one of my friends told me that he searched something on Google Chrome’s incognito mode and now he wants to know how to recover incognito history on Android phone?
Basically what he wanted to know was how to see incognito history.
Privacy is the idea
Straight to the point- in Incognito mode, an exclusive feature of one of the best web browser Google Chrome is – you can browse in privacy.
And the moment it comes to privacy, the next thing in mind comes -safety. So is incognito mode safe to use? Does it hide search history because we don’t see it?
Google is spying on you
You already know it- Google is the gatekeeper of your online world. It knows what you did on the web and what you looked for on any day. It is snooping on you.
Thanks to your permission to Cookies that it tracks your online behaviour and it does it with style. Style; because it tells you that it is collecting YOUR data for someone else with YOUR permission!!
Cookies are the reason that after you searched for a particular phone on Google and the ads for the same model start to pop up on random web pages and your Facebook feed.
So if you want that Google should not know what you visited, you should use incognito mode.
For most people, (68% of total Web browser users worldwide ) Google Chrome is their main web browser. Now, if you want to use Google Chrome but you don’t want it to remember your activity so that your online privacy could remain intact, you can browse the web privately in its Incognito mode.
Here are the methods that you can enable incognito mode on Chrome browser:
Android, iPhone& iPad: Method almost remains almost the same
- On your Android device, open the Chrome app.
- On the top where you have the address bar, to right of it- tap on three vertical dots. You should see the result like this.
- Now tap to ‘New Incognito tab’.
- With this, a new black window appears. In the top left, you will see a hat and pair of glasses of Incognito icon. That shows you that you are not being watched from the old spies in hats with their binoculars (Just my guess!!).
Back to the normal window from the incognito window.
On the incognito page, again tap to 3 white vertical dots and the top result which is ‘New tab’ – will open a new window for you. This way you can switch between Incognito tabs and regular tabs of Chrome web browser.
Checking if Incognito mode is on
When you open your Chrome browser, you can see the number of tabs you have left open in a square with those many tabs. On tapping it, you can see if there is any Incognito window is running.
Is incognito history on android phone possible?
- Know that you’ll only browse in private when you’re using an Incognito tab.
- Once you have closed your Chrome Browser with some normal tabs and some incognito tabs left on, and you open the browser again, you will see that your all normal tabs are restored whereas there is no incognito tab restored. So there remains no incognito history on Android phone.
- You can open a normal tab or a separate incognito tab from an incognito tab following the same procedure as above. You can open as many incognito tabs as you want and every tab will keep you safe from Google prying eyes.
- Normally, when you fill up some information forms, Google stores that information for your future usage convenience. In Incognito mode, Chrome doesn’t save your information entered in forms.
- Chrome doesn’t save browsing history, cookies and site data as well in Incognito mode.
- In Incognito mode, Chrome saves all the files you download and bookmarks you create.
How to exit from Incognito Mode
To exit Incognito mode, close all Incognito tabs.
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Chrome app.
- At the top right, you will see the number of tabs in a square box. Just tap it and you’ll see your open Incognito tabs in parallel to the normal tabs.
- At the top right of your Incognito tabs, tap to X mark to Close the incognito tabs.
Some questions on Incognito mode:
So, what if I want to view my incognito history? Or maybe I am looking to save the incognito history so that I can come in the future to incognito history to check a thing?
As you have already seen, Chrome doesn’t store anything for you in incognito mode so there is no provision to check incognito history on Android phone, IOS or desktop device. No matter you go incognito with your IOS device, desktop, or phone, your incognito history on android or iPad or desktop remains history forever.
If you are thinking of going incognito a great thing to maintain your privacy, note that your activities are not hidden from the websites you visit, or your internet service provider. So the purpose of being complete anonymousness doesn’t get solved here. Despite this, Incognito is a good feature to visit those sites where you don’t want to be flooded with those irritating ads.